PIÑATEX® a.k.a "pineapple leaf material"
If you've spotted our sparkly silver bags, then you've spotted Piñatex. It's an innovative natural textile made from pineapple leaf fibre. It's produced by a company called Ananas Anam, based in central London.
Here are answers to the most frequent questions we receive about Piñatex:
- Swatch cards costs 30€ + shipping and are available to purchase here.
- Minimum Order Quantity ("MOQ"): 1 linear metre per colour (1 lm = 1 m x 1.55 m)
- Price: from 35€ / linear metre.
- Wear + tear: In our experience, with everyday use, Piñatex wears well. Over months we notice the corners buff back a little bit, but this happens with all sorts of materials - leather, canvas, plastic. As you can probably tell, we love our bags and therefore we treat them pretty well. So please note that we cannot vouch for really rough and tumble everyday use!
- Contact: When we first started with Piñatex, it took a long time to receive a reply as their material is in such high demand. Our advice is to persistent in contacting them and you will get through soon enough!
Many people ask us about the difficult-to-find AppleSkin™ (a.k.a "apple leather") material with which we work.
Here is the production flow chart explaining how AppleSkin is made:
FRUMAT is the name of the company that has created AppleSkin. Hannes Parth is the founder of Frumat but he's notoriously difficult to get a hold of (everyone we know says the same).
The price of AppleSkin ranges from 12 - 50 € per linear metre, depending on the finishing. It comes in a roll and the Minimum Order Quantity is 300 linear metres. Smaller minimums of 150 linear metres are available however they carry a +30% surcharge.
Width is 140 cm and thickness is approximately 1 mm.
Different colours and finishes belong to different collections, such as Apple Pam Upper, Rindapple, Lork Apple, Apple Crush, Apple Wind etc.
Further technical specifications for the material we use (called "Rindapple") is visible here.
FRUITLEATHER ROTTERDAM a.k.a "mango leather"
In our 2019 collection we experimented with an embossed mango "leather" - a vegan and highly sustainable material that is made in the Netherlands from discarded mangoes.
We purchase the material from a company called Fruit Leather Rotterdam. The founders Hugo and Koen hand make every sheet, transforming discarded fruit into durable, leather-like material. The guys put it best, saying: